Franklin Fire & Rescue was formed in 1911 after the completion of the Town of Franklin's first water system. Before 1911 the only form of fire protection in Franklin was a bucket brigade of citizens. The departments first piece of equipment was a hand push cart that carried hose and tools. The department's first motorized piece of equipment was a model T Ford called Ol' Betsy. Franklin used Ol'Betsy up until the late 20's when the town purchased a Graham Brothers Dodge as its replacement. The Dodge is pictured below with the 37.
Left photo at top of the page is of the fire department members was taken in front of Old First Baptist Church (The 37 is in the photo). The 37 is also seen in the center top of the photo.Members L to R: Paul Potts (rear bumper), George Dean, Aurther Pannell, Truman Moody, Bill Cunningham, John Cunningham, Derald Ashe White Hat Chief, Carl Tysinger, CD Baird (Motorcycle), Red Welch, R to L Wade Arvey, Vic Conley, Terill Hollman, Bob Porter, Jack Sherill, Bill Sutton and Eligale Grant (Standing on 37 right running board).
The Fire Department operated out of this small building on the corner of Church Street and Iotla Street for years. The building was used by the First Baptist Church of Franklin, North Carolina but is no longer standing.
Franklin Firemen in 1955 - Right photo at top of page pictures members of fire department in 1955 in front of the old fire house at corner of Church St. and Iotla St. Picture was taken during the town's bicentennial celebration.Standing L to R: Gordon Moore, Elbert Angel, Henry Wilkie, Reid Womack, Sam Higdon, John Bulgin, Dave Martin, Carl Tysinger. Kneeling L to R. Kenneith Neal, Jim McCollum, J Ward Long, and George Slagle.
New Location in 1955
In 1955, the Fire Department moved to a new location on West Main Street. The Fire Department operated out of this location until 1987. They then moved to the new and current location off of Maple Street. The Franklin Police Department occupied the building after the Fire Department moved to their current location. This building now houses the Lazy Hiker Brewing Co.
New Station 1987
In 1987 Franklin Fire moved to a new home at the corner of Maple and Palmer Streets. This location today houses Franklin Fire & Rescue and has been expanded from the original plan.
Franklin Fire & Rescue 2012 100th Celebration
This photo was taken at Franklin's 100th celebration on July 21, 2012 during the Franklin Folk Festival. State Fire Marshal Wayne Goodwin was present during this event and is pictured in the front.